Monday, July 22, 2013

Aquasuit


Before I started competing in triathlons I didn’t even own a wetsuit. For that matter, I don't think I ever even wore a wetsuit before. As you can imagine, I had very little knowledge on wetsuits so I had to do my research before I jumped in the water. 

I was surprised to see all of the different brands, styles, and sizes the triathlon world had to offer. So I went ahead and tried a few on at the Swim Bike Run Shop NYC.  I found out that some wetsuits are clearly better than others offering more buoyancy, thermal protection, durability, and of course comfort. Unfortunately I did not have $700 to spare on a Wetsuit that makes you swim like Aquaman. Yes, this can be an expensive sport if you are looking for the best products. But I was able to find a beginner suit (Orca Brand) that was not too expensive and it fit me just right. Quite frankly, I wouldn’t know what to do with a $700 suit right now so I figure I will deal with an average Joe wetsuit until I am ready to win one of these races.

There are also several designs that certain people may be looking for. For instance, I prefer to have no sleeves on the suit because I feel very restricted with sleeves during my stroke. Others feel they need the sleeves in the cold water.

Perhaps someday I will purchase a more expensive suit but as of right now, I compete to finish. When I have enough experience and time to commit to a very strict training regimen, you better believe I will be investing in a new wetsuit because it really does make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment