Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Friend at the Gas Station



Two weeks ago I found myself pumping gas at around 9PM on I84 West as I was on my way to Kingston NY for an old friends wedding weekend. As I stood there pumping gas, I noticed a man wearing a triathlon shirt dumping buckets of ice into a couple of water coolers. Of course I couldn’t let this guy leave without asking if he was doing a race over the weekend. It turned out he was not doing a race but coaching a team for the NY City triathlon! Oh man was I excited to talk to him. He was incredibly knowledgeable and forthcoming. So naturally I got the idea to ask him a few questions about his triathlon and coaching career. We exchanged numbers and planned to talk the next week over the phone after the NYC triathlon.


Tuesday, July  17th 6:30pm

Me: Scott, I really appreciate you taking the time to talk to a fellow triathlete! I have to say, I was not surprised that we instantly felt a bond at the gas station since we both love the sport of triathlon. Do you notice other triathlete’s being friendly to each other?

Scott: I sure do Mike. In fact, that is what enticed me in the first place. My first race I was welcomed by other rookies and even the veterans. It is a fraternity in that sense.

Me: I couldn’t agree more! So how did your team do on Sunday at the NYC Tri?

Scott: I was so proud of them. This was a great test for them. What we are really in training for is the Lake Placid full Iron Man on the 28th. I wanted them to participate in this race not only as a training day but to start replicating a race environment for them. Get them amped up if you will.  

Me: It must be incredibly difficult to not work your athletes too hard to the point where they get hurt correct?

Scott: Absolutely. Our training is very gradual so we have to start our training schedule about 6 months in advance. This enables us to get into good enough shape for the harder more strenuous weeks of training. Without those weeks, it is very difficult to get into shape. So we will ease into it at first and the workouts will come in waves.

Me: Has anyone gotten hurt this year?

Scott: Oh yeah, unfortunately one athlete suffered a severe hamstring pull and was unable to continue training this season. This was actually done on the bike as he was riding up a hill and must have accelerated too fast.

Me: Are you still competing yourself or are you just coaching?

Scott: You better believe it! Over the past few years I have gotten into coaching because it is truly a thrill and I love seeing my team’s progress. But I try to do my fair share of races myself. I am actually doing a race in Tobay Long Island in August.

Me: Maybe I will join you! 

Scott and I continued our conversation for some time. We not only discussed triathlons but ended up learning a lot about each others lives. This just further proves how triathlons can be more than just just a sport. They are a way of life. They promote friendship, encouragement, laughter and achievement. So next time you are pumping gas, take a look around. There might be a future friend with a lot in common standing right next to you!

1 comment: