Friday, July 12, 2013

Hamptons Marathon



I have come to the conclusion that in order to feel completely confident going into my first Ironman, I need to finish a checklist. The simple fact I have to face is that in order to finish the Ironman, I must finish a marathon. Which means, finishing a marathon must be on the list. I have yet to finish a 26 mile run in my entire life. In fact, my longest run to date is only 18 miles. Oh yeah, and before the marathon is a 100 mile bike ride. But let’s just focus on one thing at a time (Procrastination is a talent of mine.)  

It was actually my brother who told me I should not only do a marathon before the race but I should be doing it in some sort of race fashion. Initially I was going to just run the 26 miles on a nice Saturday by myself. But participating in a race is not only more exciting but it is the best way to prepare and rehearse exactly what you will be doing during the Iron Man. I couldn’t agree more with my brother. It was great advice. Consequently, I signed up for the Hamptons Marathon on September 28th. To get a better Idea of how these races work click on the link and scroll through the site. I highly suggest checking out the map Marathon Map this will give you a great idea of where the race takes place. As you can see mile 10-16 looks like it is right on the water. I am really looking forward to some ocean views!

Some of the race actually takes place in the Hamptons woods as well. Just think, part of your day you are looking onto a beautiful endless ocean on Long Island and another part you are running trails in the woods. I am really looking forward to the scenery change. The Toughman triathlon had incredible scenery. Part of the course actually took you through the Croton Dam in Westchester, NY. The view was breathtaking. Have you ever heard of "runner's high" I will be sure to dedicate a future blog to what exactly a runner's high is but in the meantime, I certainly felt it as I ran past the dam. I am hoping for a similar feeling during the Marathon!

Are you starting to get the race fever? If so, don’t be scared, click the Registration link and leave a comment on my blog, letting me know! Hope to see you in September…

3 comments:

  1. I love the Hamptons, my family has a small cottage out there I visit every summer. Great place to run a marathon, but very buggy! Be sure to bring some Bug Spray

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also! I'm from Croton on Hudson (The town with the Dam) Your determination is admirable it's on my bucket list to run a marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am dying to go to the Hamptons! That will be cool to run a marathon there, you will have to blog about the experience!

    ReplyDelete