Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Inspiration

Before any race I like to search for some sort of inspiration. With the right source of inspiration, I find myself pushing my limits and striving to finish strong. The motivation that derives from a simple source of inspiration is so powerful that it defeats any fear or doubt I might have going into a race.

For example, my brother and I ran a race to raise money for the non profit organization that he works for which is called “The Empowerment Center” During our fund raising I learned a significant amount about his company and the people that they strive to assist. During my race, I inadvertently thought about the people that gave money to our cause as well as the people that were directly affected by the money we were able to raise. It was an extremely humbling experience and I was so proud to be apart of it.

When I decided to do the Arizona Ironman, I quickly began my search for a direct inspiration. So I did what most people do for research now a days, I signed on to Youtube! The clip I found blew me away. I instantly felt an urge to begin training with the hopes that when I finish the race, I will have a similar experience as the woman in the clip who finishes seconds before the cutoff! Before you watch, I will give you a brief background on how the Ironman finish works. Quite simply you start the race around 6:30 am. You have until midnight to finish the race. If you do not finish the race by midnight you are disqualified. If you do not make the finish, suddenly the countless hours of training, the injuries and the sacrifices you made become a waste. Perhaps “waste” is a harsh way to put it but I am sure at the moment it feels like a waste. In this clip you will learn first hand how incredible the finish can be. The search for this moment is my inspiration this time around. Enjoy the clip!  Ironman Inspiration

1 comment:

  1. I have a running inspiration play list.

    I also use my instagram account for motivation. I follow a bunch of fellow runners who post things that motivate me to get up and go or train. This is especially helpful to me on the days I want to stay in bed.

    I agree with you on running for a purpose. I ran my first half marathon last march. I was running to raise money for make a wish foundation. Something near and dear to my heart and I think that was the most motivated I was to ever finish something.

    ReplyDelete