Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Race Organizers

Lets stop and think about the people who organize these triathlons. I would think the average person who has not been to a triathlon might think the people organizing the race must have another job in the “off season” In some cases I guess people do but for the most part, it’s a full time job! Now I can’t sit here and tell you the logistics of running or planning a triathlon but I imagine it takes an incredible amount of time and focus. Therefore, I cant sit here and criticize certain races and how they are organized because I’ve never planned one before. Although, I will give you my opinion on a few races that I have done in the past. I want to give you the inside scoop on the Hariman Half Ironman and the Toughman triathlon. I ran the Hariman last May and it took place in Hariman State Park, NY. First off, it was a beautiful day and I was excited because it was the first race of my season. But once I got there, I quickly realized this was not a very big race when I saw the transition area. It was still being set up when I got to the race (usually they are well set up the night before) and the area it was placed seemed so forced (in a side parking lot) For those of you who do not know what the transition area is, well it’s exactly what it sounds like. It is the area where athletes station their bikes and other gear when they start the swim. After the swim you run back to the transition where your bike is waiting for you. You get the idea… Any way, after scoping out the race, I couldn’t really get into my “groove” Remember that feeling I wrote about in my previous post? Yeah, I didn’t get that for this race. This race also started late around 9:30! That takes away all the fun! I enjoy seeing the sun come up. I guess I enjoy the unique experience the early morning offers. The swim was actually the only enjoyable part. The water was beautiful. Although I knew at the beginning of the bike that this race was going to be awful. The hills were incredibly tough. I understand some people like the challenge but this was ridiculous! The struggle was not worth it to me.. It almost seemed as though some one was going to say “just kidding” Over all, my opinion of this race was that it was in a poor location, the timing of the race was very odd and the organization was just not there. If I were to rate the race experience on a 1 – 10 basis I will have to say a 5. Obviously, not all races are this way. In fact, the Hariman was the only race that I did not enjoy. Although, still to this day my favorite race is the Toughman in Croton, NY. My first time doing this race was two years ago on 9/11. What an incredible morning it was. The air was crisp, the people were friendly and incredibly nostalgic because it was the 10 year anniversary of 9/11. I noticed several police officers and fire fighter that were doing the race in honor of the ones we lost. It was very touching. Before the race the national anthem was sung while the sun was coming up. As you can imagine, this built up immense emotions that were hard to hold back. Thousands of athletes that were geared up in there wet suits stopped to reflect on not only what happened 10 years prior, but everything that has happened since. What a moment. Besides the circumstances of the race falling on 9/11 you couldn’t be a part of a better organized race. The staff was incredibly helpful and active during the race. The course safety was excellent and it was simply a smooth ride for everyone involved. I know this sounds crazy but, I plan on doing the Toughman every year for the rest of my life. Join me!

No comments:

Post a Comment