Saturday, June 22, 2013

Tricks to Survive the Dreaded Swim!


More times than not, beginner triathletes build up apprehension for the swim portion. Some people say it is initiated by the fear of being out in the open and too tired to swim any further.  After all, it’s not like being in a pool because you can’t grab onto the side if you get tired. Yes, being out in the open water is somewhat scary if you are not used to it. I will also put into consideration, the fact that hundreds of people are splashing and kicking water into your face. So I am sympathetic for someone first starting. Believe me, I was very nervous for my first swim. In fact I still feel nervousness before I get in the water.  Despite all the fears we all face, there are several tricks you can do that will not only ease the apprehension but will get you to the finish line faster!

      1) When you start the race, don’t start in front! Let the people in your wave go first, and find your way to the back of the line. Let's be honest, you’re not going to win the race your first time. Just focus on finishing. By starting in the back you don’t have to worry about people swimming over you, and accidentally hitting your face during their stroke (happens to me all the time) This also enables you too swim at your own pace and focus.
 
    2)   Focus on your breathing. When we are overwhelmed or nervous we tend to breathe heavier as our heart rate increases. Especially when swimming it is important not to breathe sporadically. It is a very easy mistake to make during the swim so remember to take calm deep breaths, one after the other.
   
    3)   Don’t stop kicking! I admit I am the king of not kicking. But when I remind myself, I notice I not only   move at a better pace but I take tension off of my upper body which I need to preserve if I want to finish. So help your body and distribute the tension by kicking as well.
 
   4)   Don’t think about time, or where you are in the race. Your thoughts can become very manipulating!  For example, I often make the mistake of counting the buoys as I pass them. This may seem like it would help but it always makes time drag. 45 minutes can sometimes feel like 3 hours if you think about the time you have left. Do yourself a favor and let your thoughts wander. Think about your childhood, girlfriend, family, your goals in life, where you see yourself in 5 years etc. This is the perfect time to reflect and have fun with it! I like to think of this time to yourself as an exploration or an assessment on your life.  I’ve never meditated but I imagine the feeling is very similar. But remember; don’t lose your focus on the race. Remember trick number 2?
  
    5)   Most importantly, have fun. We enter these races to enjoy ourselves and push ourselves to new limits. So why waste the time being afraid of the swim? Its silly. Remember there are lifeguards all around watching you in case something were to happen. Your safety is always the most important factor and the race organizers take this very seriously. So be conscious of your surroundings and enjoy!

Clearly, there are several ways to increase your confidence before a triathlon. To keep it simple, remember to stay calm, focus on your breathing, remember the fundamentals, forget about winning the race, and have fun. Remind yourself of these factors and you will have a great experience.



2 comments:

  1. I found this to be very informative and helpful information. Although, I have never competed in this type of race I feel the advice would be helpful when I am doing any type of physical activity like running.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this to be very interesting! Thanks for the tips. I will try them when I'm at the beach!

    ReplyDelete