Thursday, June 6, 2013

Race morning

The date is May 19th, approximately 2am. I am running through what feels like quick sand but looks like an endless paved road. The sun is beaming down at a persistent 95 degree heat. I think to myself "get ready for a sweet watch tan Mike." I then come to my senses, "you're in quick sand!" Every step gets harder and harder percolating every ounce of energy I have. Energy that I need to conserve! I begin to panic... (Remember when I said it was 2am?) yes.. this was a dream. I woke up in a sweat, which had to have derived from the heat I described in my dream because believe you me, my AC was cranking! I then gathered myself and realized I only had 2 and a half more hours of sleep before I had to wake up. I drifted back off.. 4:30am I wake up to the sound of an alarm that I really need to change. You know, one of those android alarm clocks that sounds like something my grandchildren might listen to in the future. (lots of banging computer noises... Awful. Anyway. Its race day! "get excited Mike" In all honesty, I truly love race day. The thrill of waking up early, getting my gear together, breathing in fresh air, knowing I am one of few who will be embarking on an adventure that most people never experience. My favorite part is the 45 minutes before the race starts. I get to my transition area, its still dark and I am surrounded by athletes from all over the country and athletes outside the country as well. Athletes that I share a bond with, a bond that is unspoken but clearly out in the open. We all know, this is crazy but for some reason that is so hard to describe, we keep coming back. I admire the athletes around me and their routine as they get everything organized for their day. All the while, my subconscious is incredibly nervous because I know soon I will be swimming 1.2 miles wrestling with my memories, stamina, nervousness, etc. There is no other feeling in the world like it. Being excited, nervous, happy, nostalgic, and proud all in one moment. its truly extraordinary.

3 comments:

  1. I am impressed with anyone who runs long distances because I can barely run 1 mile without feeling like I am going to die. I can dance for 6 hours a day, but I can't run a mile... that's pretty sad.
    How many races do you try to do a year?
    Have you run a marathon yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it makes you feel better, I cant dance for 10 minutes let alone 6 hours!

      I have yet to do a full marathon but I will be doing a a couple before the Ironman in November!

      Delete
  2. What a cool inside prospective! I have similar questions to Cecilla, have you run a marathon already?

    ReplyDelete