Friday, June 14, 2013

Science Project



The key to training for an Ironman is simple, don’t get hurt! In order to manage your health it is imperative that you do not push yourself too hard. Often times, athletes feel that they have to get in let’s say an 18 mile run on the weekend after a long week of early morning swims,  bike rides, weight training etc. However, more times than not your body needs that time to rest. However, it is very important not to make excuses for that very reason. For example, last weekend I found myself resisting a work out because I told myself that my body needed rest. But I knew in the back of my head that I could technically work out because I did not work my body to the point of exhaustion during the week. In all honesty, I had a moment of laziness and I made an excuse! So how do you know when you are making excuses and how do you know when it is actually unhealthy to train? 

I often say, training for a race is a science.  Just like any experiment, you have to take observations and go through a series of testing to come to a definitive result. Testing consists not only of physical training but how your body feels after eating certain foods. When it comes to food, there is a lot of research that is involved and as I’ve mentioned before, your body is unique and you have to understand how your body digests food. Therefore, when training the only way to truly feel confident is if you test your body, see how you feel and take notes. This also means you can’t procrastinate.  Ideally you want to have a set schedule 3 months prior to a race. That schedule should be based on a few months of experimenting.

No comments:

Post a Comment